STEAM:CODERS, a Project of Community Paertners, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization teaches underrepresented and underserved students and their families the fundamentals of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math), in preparation for academic and career opportunities. By teaching logic, critical thinking and problem solving, we provide students with attainable pathways to future success.
STEAM:CODERS, based in Pasadena, CA, to meet the demands of students who are interested in STEAM. After hosting a series of one-day workshops and receiving positive feedback from parents and students, it was determined that there are limited resources and opportunities for students to learn more about STEAM. Due to the increasing importance of computer science (i.e., coding) and the growth of educational and career opportunities in STEAM, it is crucial that students get on the computer science and math track, early in their academic tenures.
- Nearly 3000 students served, since inception (July 2014)
- Classes in Altadena, Claremont, Inglewood, Long Beach, Los Angeles, Pasadena and Pomona
- Tours: Google LA, California Science Center, ArtCenter College of Design and NASA/JPL
- Corporate: ADP, Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc., Apple, AT&T, Blue Shield of California, Bluebeam, Capital Group, City National Bank, CodeSpark, Edison International, Enbroaden, Fremantle, Google, Idealab, Jacobs Engineering, Kinder Morgan, Northrop Grumman, Union Bank, US Bank, Warner Bros., Wells Fargo, Xerox
- Academic: Art Center College of Design, Harvey Mudd College, Idealab, Innovate Pasadena, La Salle High School, Pasadena City College, University of La Verne, UCLA and USC
- Nonprofit: Black Data Processing Associates LA, Brotherhood Crusade, Community Partners, Fox Family Foundation, Innovate Pasadena, Jean Perkins Foundation, Pasadena Community Foundation, The California Endowment
STEAM:CODERS has introduced over twenty-four hundred K-12 students to the STEAM fields (i.e., computer science, engineering, robotics, art and design). These fields represent a tremendous number of academic and career opportunities. The tremendous interest in STEAM:CODERS has resulted in the demand to add more locations, in order to accommodate students and their parents. In addition, courses will be added, incorporating all of the STEAM disciplines (i.e., math, etc.) into the curriculum. We strongly believe the combination of hands-on activities, field trips and classroom instruction will spur imagination and innovation and help our students develop an appreciation for STEAM. Opportunity + Imagination = Innovation. Full STEAM Ahead!
Want to Learn More?
Follow @SteamCoders on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Contact us at email@example.com.